D7-3-1 Block D7, Pusat Perdagangan Dana 1,
Jalan PJU 1A/46, PJU 1A, 47301 Petaling Jaya,
Selangor Darul Ehsan
Cell therapy is the next rising industry to emerge from the impressive advances in life science research in the past 2 decades. Even in these early days of the industry development, we have seen dramatic benefits brought forth by new cell therapies in several therapy areas, notably in congenital conditions, eye and skin diseases, and soft tissues disorders, where several cell products have received US FDA marketing authorization.
Malaysia has a nascent but slow growing cell therapy industry largely because of under-investment in product development, shortage of accredited physical infra, competent suppliers and other service providers, ambiguous regulatory paths and lack of leadership to galvanize the commitment of all stakeholders to advance the industry in Malaysia.
The MACT is thus conceived through the joint efforts of the various industry players including:
- Cell therapy technology providers (eg various university and commercial labs)
- Cell therapy healthcare providers (eg various hospitals and clinics providing such treatment)
- And various suppliers of goods and services to the industry such as lab operators, cell production and banking facility, product testing/QC labs, CROs, consultants etc.
The formation of MACT is not just motivated by the increasing recognition of cell therapy as an important industry to our country, but also as a rigorous science based discipline with its own body of requisite knowledge and skills those working in the field are expected to possess to demonstrate professional competence.
The increasing interest in cell therapies has also brought forth in its train many difficult and challenging issues such as:
- Ethical issue related to use of cell therapies whether in research or routine clinical practice
- Availability of reliable information on efficacy and safety of cell therapy products whether undergoing clinical trials or available commercially
- Regulatory uncertainty concerning the use of cell therapy products in clinical practice
- The human resource and other capabilities to undertake cell therapy research and services in Malaysia